First barley production report of 2022 released

The USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) released their July 12, 2022 Crop Production Report. Much of the data is based on initial estimates and forecasts and does not report all barley production states. Individual state level estimates will be published in the Small Grains 2022 Summary.  

Production is forecast at 175 million bushels, up 49 percent from 2021. Based on conditions as of July 1, the average yield for the United States is forecast at 73.0 bushels per acre, up 12.6 bushels from last year. Area harvested for grain or seed, at 2.40 million acres is unchanged from the Acreage report released on June 30, 2022, but up 23 percent from 2021. A record high yield is expected in Idaho.  

Nationwide, 97 percent of the barley acreage was sown by June 12, three percentage points behind last year and 2 percentage points behind the 5-year average. Ninety-six percent of the barley acreage had emerged by June 19, two percentage points behind last year but equal to the 5-year average. Heading of the Nation’s barley acreage advanced to 19 percent complete by June 26, twenty-one percentage points behind the previous year and 12 percentage points behind the 5-year average. Overall, 53 percent of the barley acreage was reported in good to excellent condition on June 26, compared to 31 percent at the same time last year. 

You can access the July 12, 2022 USDA NASS Crop Production Report; along with other historical acreage, production, and stock reports, from the AMBA website

You can find additional barley data at the NASS website